Monday, May 16, 2011

JUMPING OUT OF THE BOX

50 years…soon!

I’ve been sitting here and thinking of the last 49 years and what I’ve done with my life.  In comparison to some I’ve really done nothing, but since I’ve done it all on my own I guess I’m doing okay.

I have friends who have achieved great success many times over, friends who help others on a daily basis, and even ones who never spoke a word who moved hearts wherever they went.  It kind of made me feel for a long time that my life really didn’t have much meaning. 

As a young child I always dreamed of doing something in the medical field.  I loved the idea of helping others and especially those who were hurting.  I came out full of compassion and it’s always been that way.  I found such joy in seeing people smile.  It made what I did all worth the while.  However, my mother told me that girls don’t go to college.  They sit home and take care of the family.  I guess some do that, but sure wasn’t my dream.

Not knowing how to get to college and make my dream come true, I ventured out to find work instead.  I’ve held some of the best jobs when I was younger.  They all allowed me to keep climbing up and learning more.  But for some reason when I was about 30, it all started to head back the other way.  Suddenly the skills I used to supervise others wasn’t valid without a degree, so I ended up with an entry level job at best.  It just kept declining in spite of me finally going to college.  I thought the degree would get me the job, but now I was being told I was too old at 43. It seemed like noting was going to work again.

Yet, at age 43 I decided to try some things I enjoyed.  I sold buttons that you designed along with popcorn at festivals, started a property maintenance business and now am trying to come up with a way to do more creative projects to I can use my artist skills once again.  Even though the corporate world of working for others has ended, I’m now able to focus on what I want to do.  I did consider for a short time going to college for my medical degree, but realized at this stage of life that my plans had changed.  Even though it still interested me, it wasn’t about the stable job or good income anymore.  It was about finding something I enjoyed and would do for free.  Art, that’s what I would do for free.  So at age 5, just around the bend, I’m heading out to get some art supplies and make my dreams come true. 

SOMETIMES WHAT YOU DREAM OF ONLY WORKS FOR A SEASON.  MAYBE WHAT REALLY LURED YOU WAS MORE ABOUT MONEY & STABILITY.  SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO JUMP OUT OF THE BOX AND START LIVING A REAL DREAM.  WITH PASSION ALL THINGS SUCCEED!

No comments:

Post a Comment